Sheep Brain Dissection, Grades 9-12
Lesson on comparative and gross neuroanatomy, function, and homeostasis
This interactive lesson plan features the dissection of a sheep brain. Teachers will learn about and share knowledge regarding comparative and gross neuroanatomy, function, and homeostasis.
- Learn how to safely and respectfully examine the organ of a previously living organism.
- Touch and identify inner and outer structures of a sheep brain.
- Explore brain structures and their relationships to function by visually comparing the brains of different species.
- Feel the bumps (gyri) and grooves (sulci) on the brain and understand what purpose they serve.
- Title: Sheep Brain Dissection
- Setting: In Classroom
- Subject: Biology – Neuroscience
- Grade Level: 9-12
- Time Frame: 1 Hour
- Paired Dana Foundation Fact Sheets: 9th-12th Grade How Does the Brain Work?
- Next Generation Science Standards: Meets HS-LS1-1-2, HS-LS1-3, HS-LS4-2