This Is Your Brain on Depression, Grades 9-12
Lesson on the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for teen depression. (PDF only, no PPT)
This interactive lesson plan teaches students about the causes, symptoms, and treatment options for teen depression.
- Learn about the etiology of depression and discuss behavioral symptoms.
- Learn and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of current treatment options, such as antidepressants.
- Work in groups to investigate what is going on in the brain during depression and how antidepressants target specific neural mechanisms to alleviate its symptoms.
- Title: This is Your Brain on Depression
- Setting: In Classroom
- Subject: Biology – Neuroscience
- Grade Level: 9-12
- Time Frame: 1 Hour
- Paired Dana Foundation Fact Sheets: 9th-12th Grade How Does the Brain Work?
- Next Generation Science Standards: Meets HS-LS1-2, HS-LS1-3